The mission of the Schenectady County Public Library is to satisfy our community's educational, informational, cultural and recreational needs by providing free and open access to a comprehensive range of materials, services and programs.
SCPL Teen Zone
Click on a Class/Event for more information, including ages and registration.
Fun and useful links to help you find information on everything from getting your license and college searches to fashion, games and sheet music. Just click on any of the headers to expand the panel and explore.
Books & Literature
- NoveList Plus
- Search by genres, subject headings, author read-alikes and more. Browse reading lists, create your own and then share them with friends who have NoveList accounts.
- Teen NY
- The New York State Library Facebook page designed to promote teen-related programs and resources in New York.
- Young Adult Library Services Association (YASLA) Booklists
- Great lists on many subjects
- Your Favorites: 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels
- From NPR Books
- Book reviews and booklists, blog about teen favorite reads
- FREE YA audiobook downloads & Summer Reading Classics
- Pulse It
- Read books online for free!
- Teen Reads
- Reviews, authors interviews and more
- Teen Ink
- A national teen magazine, book series, and website devoted entirely to teenage writing, art, photos and forums. Students must be age 13-19 to participate, register and/or submit work
- Reading Rants
- Out of the ordinary teen booklists
- Guys Read
- A web-based literacy program for boys founded by author and First National Ambassador of Young People's Literature, Jon Scieszka.. Their mission is to help boys become self-motivated, lifelong readers.
- Graphic Novel Reporter
- Graphic novel and creator reviews, books-to-screen, lists by author/illustrator and more
Careers & Job Hunting
- NY Youth Works Program
- Encourage businesses to hire unemployed, disadvantaged youth. The program supports job training and employment for eligible youth ages 16 to 24 who live in the following areas of New York State: Cities of Albany, Buffalo, New York, Rochester, Schenectady, Syracuse, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Utica, Yonkers; and Towns of Brookhaven and Hempstead.
- Armed Services
- Information on all branches of the military, enlistment, ASVAB practice and more.
- Schenectady County jobs for teens and part-time jobs
- Working Papers
- Types of working papers, where to get them, requirements and more
- Labor Laws for Minors
- When, where and how long you can work
- Big Future by The College Board
- The College Board's new college planning site. Created with the help of students and educators, BigFuture guides families step by step through the process of preparing for, finding and enrolling in college, making it easier and less overwhelming.
- College Board
- Register and practice for SATs, PSATs, CLEP and APs; college search; planning for college, paying for college and more
- New York State Higher Education Services Corportation (HESC)
- Grants, scholarships, loans, college and career planning
- The ACT
- Register and practice for the ACTs
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- The place to start for financial aid
- Information on choosing a college
- U.S. College Search
- Occupational guides; financial aid resources; college search by state, degree and name; and more.
Mind & Body
- Choose Kind
- An anti-bullying campaign inspired by R.J. Palacio's debut novel, Wonder. Pledge to Choose Kind everyday. Click here for a list of resources available for parents, kids and teens at SCPL.
- Teens Against Bullying
- Teens helping teens identify and respond to bullying and cyberbullying
- Schenectady City School District Suicide Prevention Resources
- Warning signs and symptoms of depression, hotlines
- Girl Zone
- Advice, quizzes, body image, fashion and more
- Go Ask Alice!
- Health related topics for teens
- Just for Girls
- Health, style, travel and more.
- Teen Talk
- Dating, body & mind, sexuality and other topics for teens
- Free Vibe
- Above the Influence website
- Teen Health FX
- Health questions and answers